Tuesday, December 30, 2008

#7 Peaceful to Spooky

2009 is just around the corner, so let’s get at least one more trick in before we say farewell to 2008.

I took a picture of my cat sleeping, and decided to fiddle with it in Photoshop a bit. Here was my starting image:

cat1

Peaceful isn’t he? What we are going to do now is turn this cute picture into something spooky, in 3 simple steps.

First thing I did, was use the crop tool to isolate his head. So we have this to go with:

cat2

Now we go and fiddle with the color curves a little. Navigate the upper menu Image->Adjustments->Curves.

Adjust the RGB channel so the left side of the curve is all the way down, and the right side gradually grows. Mine looks like this:

cat3

Play with it till you have some powerful contrast in your image. You should get an effect where your darker areas are too dark, and your lighter areas get a sinister color.

The final step is just deleting any leftovers that you don’t need. I skipped this, so you can see the current state of my picture. Current result:

cat4

He doesn’t look peaceful. Now he looks uhm… dead. The point was that you can make some interesting effects with the Color Curves. All you need to do is fiddle with them a bit. And, you can always use selection tools to make certain areas like this, or create weird combinations(which I always find fun, yet educational).

After a little more post-work my end result is as follows:

BeheadedI call this one “Beheaded”. Heh, I guess it blends nicely with my black blog background(or BBB for short). Halloween might be over for this year, but it’s never too late to make some macabre photos!

No comments:

Post a Comment